21 March 2011

Festivals - The Summer is Coming!!

 FESTIVALS

So in my first blog post I spoke about one of my favourite bands - A Day To Remember, in this post I am going to continue the music theme and talk about festivals. I have attended Reading Music Festival the past two years and with tickets going on sale tomorrow it seems like a good idea to talk about festivals in general. 

For any US viewers out there im sorry to say that this blog will be 100% focussed on UK festivals, so you can either exit now or come along for the ride. Firstly I want to state that I love festivals and already have my tickets for this years Reading Festival so that I dont have to go through the mad scramble of trying to get one online like last year. Yes they are bloody expensive nowadays but I challenge anybody to have a better time with a group of friends than at a festival. 

To keep it structured im not going to rant on about the price of festivals, or even my experiences from them. Instead im just going to give some simple tips to those planning on heading to a festival this summer, possibly for the first time. 

Tip 1 - Buy A Good Tent
Although this sounds obvious, it isnt. Last year at Reading some of my friends had cheap tents from Tesco etc, and as some of you may be aware for the first 2 days (Wednesday + Thursday) that we were there it rained non stop. Now your tent is your home, it is the only place you can get away from everything. To come back and find that it has leaked and all your stuff is wet is the worst case sceanario. If you are staying with 1 other mate then a 4 man tent is ideal. If there are 3 of you then look for a 5/6 etc. Always look for a tent double the size to keep your stuff in and give yourself lots of room. Argos normally do good deals around the summer period. We picked up a good quality 4 man tent for £34.99 last year. 

Tip 2 - Dont Take Lots of Food 
Seriously, some people take so much food to festivals that it is insane. Yes the food at festivals is expensive but all you need is one big meal a day. Spending £5-7 on a big meal a day is fine. Take cereal bars, and fruit with you for breakfast and then any other "snack" food that can give you lots of energy. Anything else try and buy there, either from a supermarket located off camp or find something on the camp. 

Tip 3 - Essential Items - Below is a short list of essential items to take with you.
  • Torch with spare batteries 
  • Paracetamol 
  • First Aid Kit 
  • Bin Bags 
  • Empty Water Bottles 
  • Dry Hair Shampoo 
  • Toilet Roll 
  • Face Wipes 
  • Sun Tan Lotion 
Tip 4 - Use Your Sleeping Bag Holder As a Pillow 
Exactly what the title says, dont bother taking a pillow with you, instead when you have emptied your sleeping bag out fill it with spare clothes. Not only does this protect your clothes if your tent does leak a little bit but it makes the whole night sleeping a lot more comfortable.

Tip 5 - Wellies
Even if the weather forecast is 30C for the whole weekend, bring wellies. The slightest shower can turn some campsites into bogs with that amount of people and you do not want to be walking around without a pair of wellies on. 

Tip 6 - Be Safe, Drink Safely, Know your Limits. 
In all seriousnes, have an amazing time no matter where you go. Reading weekend is very often the highlight of my year. But know your limits, dont drink so much that you dont enjoy the festival itself. Lookout for all your mates, especially those which have never done it before and might get carried away. The worst thing that can happen is for someone to get seriously hurt. 


If you have never been to a festival then go. The sun, Music, Food, Alcohol. There is not a much better experience possible. Whether you are at the front row of a stage getting crushed to death, or sat on a hill just relaxing there is always something to do. Always something to enjoy. Tomorrow at 7pm I will be eagerly listening to Radio 1 to find out who is playing Reading & Leeds 2011. Tomorrow I will either be jumping up and down or thinking - at least I have the festival experience to look forward to!!!

11 comments:

  1. :( Reading is one of the many festivals I'd love to see. However I'm stuck on the other side of the pond. We do have ProgPower, which is great festival, but it's indoors.

    ReplyDelete
  2. good tips for any music fest around the world. :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thats a shame Robert, Reading is the best UK festival in my eyes, but I am biased :D

    Thanks for the tips, will make good use of them in the coming months!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cheers for all of the positive comments guys. Reading in my eyes has been the best festival in the UK for the past few years, however this year im not sure if they have what it takes to draw in the top acts. Will see tomorrow for sure!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great post!
    I'm in the US and I've been wanting to go to one of the huge festivals over there for a long time.
    We have some smaller ones like Bonnaroo and Austin City Limits, but they really don't compare to something like Reading or Glastonbury.
    Thanks for the tips, I hope I get to put them to use some day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. cool. I want to go to a UK festival.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm planning on going to Download this year. This looks so helpful. I'm definitely printing this post! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete